Katy and I are horribly indecisive people. I'm actually a little more decisive than Katy. Anyways, when we need to make a minor decision, we play the "Not This" game.
How to play Not This:
1. Come up with a list of possible solutions to a minor decision.
2. One person decides which of the possible solutions they do not want.
3. That person says "Not _____" (_____ being the solution not wanted)
4. The next person involved repeats steps 2 and 3.
5. When the solutions have been narrowed to 2 or 3 possible solutions, either repeat steps 2-4 until the solution is narrowed to 1 final solution (this gives one person the final decision, which usually doesn't work for an indecisive couple like us) or everyone involved somehow makes the final decision (which is also tough when all people involved are indecisive, but at least the possibilities are narrowed).
There are two main situations that Katy and I play not this: picking a restaurant and picking a movie from our home collection. Since picking a restaurant is so much based on location. I will only discuss picking a movie.
When we play Not This Home Movies, there are some movies that make it onto the list more often than not. What I mean is, there is an initial list of choices. We have at least a hundred movies, so we don't play Not This with all of them (unless we play Not This with genres to get it started. This also works with restaurants: not fast food, not Chinese, not stuff that causes diarrhea, etc.). One person sits at our movie library and lists of up to 20 movies to start the game off. The movies that make our list regularly are our Safe movies, the movies we can always fall back on, the movies we can enjoy in any mood. Here is my list.
Top 5 Movies That Make My "Not This" List Regularly:
5. What About Bob?
4. Mystery Men
3. (A Tom Clancy movie; we only own Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear And Present Danger)
2. Saving Silverman
1. 10 Things I Hate About You
Honorable Mention: Super Troopers, Office Space, Princess Bride, Rocketman (which is my favorite movie, but I've seen it so much), A Bug's Life (token cartoon), Any of the Mummy movies (I put one of these on the list regularly, but it is always Katy's first movie voted off the island), The Man Who Knew Too Little (loses out to What About Bob? as the Bill Murray regular), and any Star Wars movie (these have been our Sunday afternoon series since we finished the LOTR trilogy).
Comments should A) critique my list, 2) be your new list, or IV) critique someone else's new list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ooooh, I play this game with Dooleys, and Tim/Nicole occasionally. This game is, I find, almost exclusive to indecisive people, which I tend to surround myself with. I love that you made up rules. I'll have to copy them down.
Top Five "Not This" Films
5) Any of the Star Wars Prequels
4) Almost all sequels (especially Disney, and excluding most trilogies)
3) Man on Fire
2) What About Bob? (turned that down three times las night...see why I need the rules?)
1) Office Space
Return of Jafar was by far the best Disney Sequel. Although the Herbie movies were kinda funny.
Post a Comment