Saturday, June 18, 2005

Movie Credits

Do I have a double standard about watching the movie credits at the theater? Many times, I will sit through all of the credits because, for some reason, that's what I feel I *should* do. However, whenever we go to movies with friends and they get up the second the credits begin, I find myself sitting in the theater watching the credits thinking, "Why is it important to me that I watch the credits?" For example, last night we went to see Batman Begins with some friends (This is by far the best Batman in the series). They all got up at the onset of the credits, and, despite needing to go to the bathroom since halfway through the movie, I made us sit there watching the credits. Since our friends were then forced to wait for us until we came out and then wait until we went to the bathroom, we left the credits about 2/3 the way through.

Then, while using the greatest invention ever, the urinal, I had an epiphany. I don't go out of my way (usually) to read the copyright pages of books. I skip through the credits of video games when I beat them (except for Mario Kart 64, in which I try to say the names before the next screen pops up). I don't sit through the movie credits when I rent the movie. So, why do I watch the credits in the theater?

Maybe I'm just trying to show people that I'm the type of person who sits through movie credits, but I guess I'm just the type of person that does something against the norm so as to be someone who does something against the norm.

Why do you sit through or leave the credits? Do you have a double standard about books, video games, and rented movies?

2 comments:

Kevin D. Hendricks said...

For me it has more to do with the movie theater experience. After seeing something that big, that loud, that bold, I like to debrief a bit. On the small screen at home it isn't as necessary.

It has nothing to do with actually reading what's in the credits, so I don't bother with the "credits" of other media. (though I do read the acknowledgements and sometimes the copyright pages of books because that's my industry).

JL! said...

I think credits are there for reference, more or less. Some people like to decompress afterwards, as Kevin said, and some don't. For me, it depends on the mood I'm in and the movie I saw. I don't really have a rule or habit.