Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Best Book EVER, Scariest Looking Animal EVER, and My Largest Leap Of Faith EVER

Best Book EVER:
Okay, maybe it's not the best book ever, but it has been incredibly important to my spiritual formation for the last four months. And now, I finally finished it. Of course, I think most books that I finish are good books. Well, if I think it isn't good, I won't finish it. Anyways, what is this great book? The book is "A Divine Confrontation" by Graham Cooke. Graham Cooke in general has been our spiritual meat for the last 10 months or so anyways, but mainly in a CD-sermon context. Then we moved onto devotional journals by Graham and now I finished the big book. It is the first 300+ pages book I've read all the way through probably since smaller-paged, larger-fonted books in high school. I would recommend ANYTHING by Graham Cooke. It has taken our spiritual lives dimensions past where we were just one year ago.

Scariest Looking Animal EVER:
There is a picture of a one-eyed, no-nosed kitten that was born in Oregon. For the one day of its existence, this animal was the scariest looking animal ever. Or at least scariest looking kitten ever. I guess a non-deformed giant milipede is scarier, but for being a non-Serengeti kitten, this looks scary.

Largest Leap Of Faith EVER:
Katy and I "recently" left our jobs at a church. We knew through many people and some prophetic words that God was calling us out of that ministry. Everything was then reaffirmed as things played out. God even revealed the day on which we were to get the ball rolling. Then, nothing. Well, not nothing, just all quiet on the spiritual front. But when you go from basic Christian existence to divine revelation, basic Christian existence seems to be just that: basic. During the time of revelation, we felt so close to God and his moving, but felt so unsure of everything the second we weren't in a time of revelation. Looking back, it is easier to see that we were relying upon our own knowledge of what God was doing moreso than on God himself. It is not that we hadn't had times of revelation before; ever since we began listening to Graham Cooke CDs we have been more open to the working of prophecy in his disciples and have therefore been more exposed to prophetic words. One of the things we learned about in those CDs was that God will give the prophetic word before appearances go the opposite direction.
So, that leads us to Christmas Eve, our last night at the church. We then spent a week and a half during the holidays with our families out of state. We have now been back for almost another week. God has provided everything we have needed, especially since the point that we stopped "providing" for ourselves.
Where does that leave us? We have no job, and therefore no way of providing for ourselves. And instead of proactively seeking jobs, God has called us to seek him. that is the HUGE leap of faith. But, looking at our situation and how God has provided for us for the last couple of months in obvious ways, we are in no position to question him. Normally, the worldly side of me would look at our situation and say, "I just need to find a way to bring in any money I can right now (within reason; i.e. not prostitution, drugs, or fast-food restaurants)." However, I am at peace right now. More than I was when I had an income. I know that God will direct us when it is time; God will provide until that point; God will provide after that point. The tough question is, how much am I supposed to be surrounding myself with job opportunities before God will point one out and how much am I supposed to just wait for God to direct us to it? But I try to not get bogged down with questions like that and try to remember to find rest in God and to seek God more than any earthly thing, especially a job.

After all that, please pray for Katy and I as we seek the Lord. Pray that we will have the faith and the patience that God is calling us to have in this time of transition between seasons in our life.

No comments: