Saturday, December 16, 2006

Of All The Places

Whenever I am in a shopping mall, I typically stop into the gaming stores. It's not that I am going to buy something, but I like to look at what's new and, basically, judge the store on what they have in stock and what they don't. For instance, a gaming store like Games By James MUST have basic Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan. From there, they get bonus points for each expansion that they have. Also, they must have the original Munchkin. It is assumed that they will carry expansions 2, 3, and 4 as well as Star Munchkin. They get bonus points if they have Super Munchkin, Munchkin Fu, Munchkin Bites, or Munchkin Blender. They get extra bonus points if they have the expansions for those, especially if they carry the newest expansion for Super Munchkin. However, they lose points if the only carry Munchkin Fu or Munchkin Bites since those are the least popular.

I had never found a store that carried Entdekker. This was going to be my ultimate bonus point. In fact, I haven't even talked to a store employee who had ever heard of it. One guy even struggled to find it in their catalog with me spelling it for him multiple times.

I had never found a store that carried Entdekker until recently. I was in Northwestern Christian Bookstore in HarMar shopping mall and noticed they had a new display of board games. They had Settlers of Catan and ALL of its expansions right next to Settlers of Canaan. "Okay, Christians have now moved passed blatantly comparing Christian bands to secular bands on to Christian strategy board games." Then I noticed Carcassonne next to Ark Of The Covenant. Again, the we-can-turn-anything-cool-into-Christian idea was portrayed. Again with Apples to Apples Bible Edition and Scattergories Bible Edition. But the display continued on to Super Scrabble and Entdekker, games that have yet to be copied by Christians (I'm actually not sure how Christians could Christianify Scrabble, but I'm sure it would be a big moneymaker). Of all the places! At first I thought it was a ploy to attract the Snelling Ave. college contingent, but I've noticed it at two other Northwestern Bookstores.

Maybe I should be more surprised that, unlike everything else in the store and most things that Christians sell in general, Entdekker was reasonably priced-ish.

No comments: