Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Won't You Let Me Be Your Servant

While looking up random music online, I stumbled onto a group I hadn't heard in a LONG, LONG time. Actually, I had never heard any of their music when they were a band. I only knew of the band from people who used to be in the band.

The band's name is Servant.

I never realized (until looking at their website, www.servantband.com) exactly how HUGE they were. They paved the way for C-Rock bands like Petra. They have direct connections to Metallica and Motley Crue. Some of their members have gone on to groups like Over The Rhine and Monk. I just knew some of them as the Spransy Clan, an extended family of passionate, artsy-fartsy people who lived life kinda "out there." With where I am in life now, I can see that they were living on the edge in a great way. I wish I could go back to the days of worship nights at the Spransy castle (I still have a passion for replicating that somehow someday). I wish I could go back to the days of Believe It! and early Acoustic Praise.

It's true. You never know what you've got til it's gone. Worship leaders who were passionately pursuing more in praise and worship and community. College professors who were even smarter than the upper-level courses they were teaching. High school choirs that could rival many colleges.

But we always start our floors on the ceilings of our mentors. I am grateful that what so many worked so hard and so long for, I just count as "normal." I have a heightened expectancy because I started with some greats: Todd Jaeger, Tim and Maura Spransy, Matt and Siv Spransy, Mykul J and Jodi Steinke, Brian and Dayle Hubanks, Gery and Jill Neiss, Paul Reasoner, Kevin Cragg, Neil Lettinga, and very recently, Jim and Ramona Rickard. I am very indebted to the ways these people took what seemed "out there" in their own way and made it my "normal."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Spransy worship nights too!

Anonymous said...

I used to go to Spransy night too! Who are you guys anyway? Hey Tom, mind if I know your story? I would be interested to see who else we know together. You know some of the people I do, did you go to Westbrook Church back in the day? My name is Ben Barkley and you can e-mail me at bnbarkley@wisc.edu if you are up for getting in touch.