Monday, August 13, 2007

Ethical Dilemma

I was in an interesting situation the other day.

I am a Packers fan. I live in Viking country. This can be difficult at times (well, except for the fact that the Packers tend to beat the Vikings even during the worst of seasons).

So, some friends of ours asked us to go to the Preseason opener for the Vikings, in which they were playing the Rams. They were free tickets, but it was to see the Vikings. Fourteenth row, corner of the endzone. Free ride, free parking, but it was to see the Vikings. Have never been to an NFL game before, and not likely in the near future, but it was to see the Vikings.

So, we went. Hey, it was free. It was fun to go to a game in general. It was fun to hang out with friends. It was fun to see former Packers like Darren Sharper and Ryan Longwell. It was fun to see Vikings' 1st round pick Adrian Peterson rush for a couple of first downs. It was . . . fun.

So, does this make me a bad person? What about loyalty? What about team pride? I even stood up to cheer for the Vikings on an 80 yard interception run for a touchdown. I'll argue that I stood up to cheer for a good play.

On a side note, one play was reminiscent of the famous Packer play - the Rams threw the ball, it somehow bounced off of a Viking arm on the ground and up into the hands of the Ram receiver when the play was whistled dead as he proceeded to run into the endzone. Rams challenged, won the challenge, but were given the ball at the spot of the catch, not the touchdown it would have been.

3 comments:

AL said...

Okay, I am going to take a little bit of an issue with this. Of course you go to the game and cheer. Not going would be like deciding you wouldn't watch a football game on television and cheer because it wasn't the Packers. So you got caught up in the moment and cheered for the enemy, it is only pre-season. Plus, it isn't like you cheered for the Vikings over the Packers.

Christensen 5 said...

I agree with Al. Die-hard packers fans are lifers. I am one of them. I hope the game was fun!

Anonymous said...

Tom you insolent double crossing fan. A Packer fan at a Vikings game my good lord man!!!! That is like kissing your sister, wrong and incongruent. But who am I to tell you what is incongruent seeing as I work in Minnesota, wife left for california, live in Wisconsin, and spend more time dealing with Minnesota youth than my family. I think I would take the opportunity to catch a glimpse of professional athletes at no cost to myself. Life is too short to turn down your first NFL game Vikings or not. I hope it was awesome.