I have been highly offended by the Chevrolet commercials I have seen for the last year or so. "This is our country." A bunch of white farmboys returning home from war for the last hundred years. Who is "us" in "our country?" White people? Rural Americans? Soldiers? At least the new Chevy commercial I saw today has 3 or 4 black people out of 30-40 people shown in the commercial. Sure, I don't think I've ever seen an Asian-American driving a truck, but these commercials seem to go past market-driven advertisement. Maybe the next Chevy commercial will be filmed with some good ole boys on the Trail of Tears, the Birmingham Bridge, along the Rio de Janeiro, or in Chinatown. Or driving in the Middle East.
That reminds me. Like mother, like daughter apparently. America broke out of colonialism only to start our own overseas. Manifest Destiny meets Monroe Doctrine meets Alexandrian Empire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment