Friday, October 07, 2005

A-Trophy Brain

We miss school. Not just school itself, but everything that comes with it. Like meaningful, intellectual conversation. We have very little in our world now that pushes us to think, especially to think about anything outside of ministry. When we have conversations with people, it's about 80% us complaining about the crappy things in our life and about 20% finding out about other people's lives. Very seldomly do we have discussions about issues, about philosophies, about something we had never thought about before. This means our conversations seem to be very repetetive. Likewise, we get bored with things that used to be fun because there is nothing new and stimulating about them. When we were at school (in the Good Ole Days where the grass is greener), either we were in contact with something stimulating in class, someone we talked to was in contact with something stimulating in class, or we were reading things that were stimulating and could relate to others on that level.

As a subpoint, I miss philosophy. I use the tools I gained by studying philosophy almost every day, but I rarely, if ever, get to deal through the philosophical arguments or schools that interested me so much through all of college. I find myself using my history degree much more often, since I focused on ancient history and Sunday School right now is on the history of the Judges. Biblical Greek I've used three or four times since graduation, but I feel that this is mmore representative of the needs in this specific ministry than it is in ministry as a whole.

As a result of the atrphying of my(our) brain(s), my blog has been like one of those magnified vanity mirrors; it only points out to me every time I want to blog that I have little interesting to talk about. This blog will now become my Medical Alert System ("I've fallen and I can't get up"). If I have nothing interesting to say for another month, please realize the severity of the situation, come and kick in our door, and start talking about Heraclitus or Roman conquest of North Africa or that Jesus "was resurrected" (passive) not "resurrected himself" (active).

I have even started losing interest in listening to our hip-hop cds and have fallen into the stupor of Christian acoustic rock. Maybe the situation is more grim than I had previously thought . . .

1 comment:

traci said...

I understand what you are saying... Life without school kind of stinks!