Saturday, June 16, 2007

Deconstructing Myself

I've realized recently that I am pre-post-modern. I am modern in the way I like easily definable categories, logical structure, and linear thinking. I am post-modern in my enthusiasm to deconstruct, to pick apart complex ideas to find subtleties and contradictions, and to always have redirecting questions to force paradigm shifts. I am pre-modern in that I like the spirit of ancient Tradition (big T, not little t), having questions unanswered pushes me but doesn't crush me, and I like the questions raised by forerunners (i.e. Thales' questions of the physical, Heraclitus' questions of the metaphysical, JtB's questions of Jesus, Descartes' questions of the epistemological, Kierkegaard's questions of existence, etc.).

Pragmatically, I have found myself more pre-modern recently. My practical theology pendulum has swung back from Faith-Perfecting-Reason (which was a pendulum swing from Faith-Against-Resaon) to Faith-Seeking-Understanding. Much of that, I believe, has to do with my interest in forerunning, which many times means stepping into the unknown (unknown, not unknowable).

Maybe all of this comes down to a newly found respect (or, at least, lessening of disrespect) for experience in relation to reason. From my point of view, I am starting to actually include Experience in my Weslyan Quadrilateral.

No comments: